My Photo
Name:
Location: France

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Monkey Island... again?

From http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/01/lechuck-me-monkey-island-returns/

Tales of Monkey Island : http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland
Monkey Island remake : http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

Looking good, Elaine!

I'm a big fan of the Monkey Island series. But let's be more precise : my first Monkey game was the second opus and I only played the first one later on. Was it because 2 was prettier than 1 or because it was my first? Who knows... Then came the third opus which I also liked, probably better than the first, but not as much as the second (or at least quite differently).
In order from best to worst for me :
  1. Monkey Island 2
  2. Monkey Island 3
  3. Monkey Island 1
What about Monkey 4 then you say? Only played the demo. Puked at the 3D and visible drop in overall quality.

So what about these news?

Tales of Monkey Island doesn't look great to me. The 3D is once again quite subpar compared to what's being done these days. I'll never understand why they keep going 3D for a reason that seems to be "just because", when 2D packs so much more soul and with so little hardware requirements.

On the other hand, the remake of Monkey 1 is actually somewhat appealing. The fact that it's voiced doesn't do much to me, but it's still nice to have. The graphics are visibly hires and not horribly disfiguring our past memories. Looks like something in-between Monkey 2 and Monkey 3. I'm *not* fond of how it's animated, though. That is... yes it's incredibly faithful, but it's a case of "too bad" as it doesn't fit the remade graphics. It's also nice to see people who are *clearly* trying to modernize it while retaining everything that made it cool in the past (which so many claim but never do when touching old franchises). The new interface also intrigues me.
This said, though, I'm not the right audience for this and except for compatibility issues, I don't see much incentive to get a remake : I didn't mind the graphics and still don't... and the interface wasn't bad, so... New shiny graphics and voices wouldn't cut it.

Obviously, what I'd really want is something that looks like this remake, with better animation (say, Monkey 3) and, most importantly, which is actually in the same spirit as the first three Monkeys.

- Never happy Moni :p

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ren said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 16, 2009 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger Ren said...

You're not "never happy", you just have decent tastes. And Guybrush is plain ugly in this remake, glad to see at least Elaine isn't disfigured like usual... I wonder though: with talented people like AdoC on deviantArt making incredibly gorgeous fan arts you'd expect them to find someone a bit more talented, no?

http://adoc.deviantart.com/art/The-Monkey-Island-41867380?offset=10

http://www.worldofmi.com/features/fan/art/index.php?artist=2

Next thing you know, they'll have a movie with James Van Der Beek as Guybrush. I wish they stopped raping my childood. ;_;

June 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home